Saturday, January 1, 2011

Pottery Volunteering


After the rains subsided and we were finally able to emerge from our compound, we took a walk through Tamarindo to check out the sights.  About five minutes from our house we came upon the Guaitil Pottery Studio and I went in to see if they could use a volunteer.  Lucky for me they said sure! For the past few weeks now I have been going there frequently and have learned a tremendous amount from Arbin (who makes colorful Chorotega pots) and his wife Tricia (who makes amazing wire jewelry), who are both incredibly talented artists.

I stole some of this from a handout in the store, but here goes:
At the Guaitil Pottery Studio in downtown Tamarinido, potter Arbin creates one of a kind Chorotega pieces, an indigenous craft taught to him as a child by his mother.  In this fashion, the same traditional and ancestral techniques of the Chorotega indigenous art lives on from generation to generation as it has done for over 800 years.
 In spending time at the studio I have had the opportunity to learn a lot about this process from Arbin and by helping with each step along the way, and I have even created a few pieces of my own.  In this style of pottery, each piece is created using coil building techniques and a completely manual hand wheel, which is very difficult to get used to. The clay is made of materials found in Guaitil, a famous Costa Rican potting town (where Arbin is from) about 45 minutes from Tamarindo.  To make the clay one adds water to fine sand and clay dust, then stomps around on it as if crushing grapes for wine.  On my first day volunteering I helped to make a batch!  I knew I would like it there immediately; there is nothing better than really getting into it and making a mess..  There are no glazes in this process, so after each layer of paint is added separately, and the piece needs to be polished using small pieces of smooth plastic.  This technique gives each piece a glossy appearance in the end.  Each piece will also undergo a series of paintings and etchings.  They are then fired in a hand built kiln (made from stone and manure), using a specific wood that fires them at an extremely high temperature (this process also cooks chickens quite nicely I might add).  Each piece requires hours of work and detailing, and as with pottery in general, if something goes wrong in the last phase all is lost.  Arbin is a great teacher and offers lessons to anyone who is interested, so if you are ever in Tamarindo and want to bring a souvenir back that will last longer and contain more memories than a rain stick, then stop by his studio and check it out.  It is located in Tamarindo circle, and you can check out his website @ www.Tamarindo Pottery.com.


My second piece..

Tricia has a store right next to the pottery studio called Urban Eclectic, and features amazing wire-wrapped jewelry.  She is originally from Los Angeles, but for the past few years has been living the dream with a beachside jewelry store featuring all her unique necklaces, bracelets, earrings, etc.  I have had the opportunity to see some of her creations come together and I must say they are truly works of art!  If you’re interested in checking some out…  In addition to her shop in Tamarindo, she has a website (http://www.urbaneclectic.etsy.com/) where you can go to check out her latest creations, or even request whatever design or style you are thinking of.

I have been very lucky to have been able to spend so much time in beautiful place learning from two talented artists, not to mention two really great people.  I have learned a lot from them and I look forward to calling upon what I have learned for inspiration in the future!


1 comment:

  1. Thank you for a well written and very informative article/post. I appreciate it. I am gringo looking forward to an initial visit to this area sometime in the approaching probable realities horizon and had been thinking about a similar volunteer experience as part of my exploratory journey.
    Thank you for taking the time to share your really excellent writing, observations, and photographs with me....

    ReplyDelete