Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Why is the gym scanning my retinas?


From the small sample I have seen, gyms in Iceland are pretty cool.  After doing some frustrating Internet research, I headed out for a jog in the direction of one of the gyms that I was interested in.  I had never seen such a large, modern, clean gym before.  It featured three, maybe four levels, two outdoor hot tubs (one fresh water, one salt water), every type of equipment you could imagine, large rooms for yoga, pilates, and the like, giant locker rooms, and even a motivational weight room that had a giant traffic light on the wall that lit up to tell people to do another set of reps.  I was not ready to sign up at that time, thinking I would wait until Siobhan was back in town, but they gave me a paper to hold onto which entitled us to a one-month price of about $60 per person.

A few days later, while walking to the grocery store I realized that I had been passing another nearby gym.  I stopped in to explore and found that it was much closer to what I am used to at home, and was still partially under construction.  After looking around on my own, the person at the front desk told me there was a special open until the end of the week of about $15 for a one-month membership due to the construction.  I signed up on the spot.  After handing over my cash (in Icelandic króna), they told me I would need to do a retina scan, which would be used for check-in purposes.  (On account of Craig and Ali mentioning this possibility, I was not surprised.)  I leaned into a little window, and a robotic, female voice directed me (in English) on how to align my face for the scan.  That being completed I left the gym, but returned later that day for my first workout.

Hopefully we will be able to figure out a way to get Siobhan into the gym too, but with there still being three weeks until she would be ready to think about that, I could not pass up the opportunity to join.  Perhaps we will decide to sign up for one month at the first gym in October.  Until then, I am a member here:  http://www.worldclass.is/.

No comments:

Post a Comment